Thursday, November 10, 2011

Quick Comic Reviews - November 10th, 2011

Well, DC has a lot of issues out there this week.  Only one has really stood out sadly.  But there’s still hope later in the week.  We’ll see what else is coming down the pipe as I hope to get one more set of reviews out.  Please leave comments and I’m always open for suggestions.  If there’s something particular you want me to review, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.  Hope you enjoy!

greenlant3Green Lantern #3 – Written by Geoff Johns, Penciled by Doug Mahnke with Inks by Christian Alamy, Keith Champagne, Mark Irwin, & Tom Nguyen.  Let me get the bad out of the way.  Doug Mahnke’s facials for Sinestro and Hal Jordan.  REALLY dislike the way he draws face and lips and the fact that Jordan’s mask always looks shiny when he draws it.  If you haven’t figured out that I’m not a huge fan of those things by now… anyway, let’s move past that.  His storytelling skills are pretty good, so I can’t argue there.  Now, this issue focuses on Sinestro and Hal teaming up to try and take out the Sinestro Corps.  Sinestro has decided that he needs to because the Corps enslaved his home world in his absence.  Jordan has to deal with the fact that Sinestro created his ring and can take it away.  The banter back-and-forth between Hal and Sinestro is great in this issue.  It really is hilarious to watch these two bicker and some of the jabs that Sinestro takes are great.  This story is becoming very entertaining and this issue was the best one yet.  Now, I’ve always been a big Green Lantern fan, so this one hits pretty high marks for me.  If I liked Mahnke more I might give it a 10, but I won’t.  However, anyone who’s a Green Lantern fan should love this issue.  This is some of Johns’ better work!
Rating - StarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStar 9/10

leglost3Legion Lost #3 – Written by Fabien Nicieza and Art by Pete Woods.  The Lost Legion members are trying to find a cure for a Hypertaxis Plague (something that apparently is giving humans alien dna) and this Alastor dude that they can’t catch.  Basically, so far, so little for the team.  However, when a new potential Hypertaxis infected shows up and causes problems at a nearby mall, it’s Timber Wolf to the rescue.  I’m still a tad confused about what all is going on here, but Fabian always does a good job of working a recap in.  However, a lot of times, when you give things these fancy names that we can’t relate it, it’s hard to remember what the hell they’re talking about.  I do like the dynamic of them having to figure out how to get a foothold in a world of the past.  I thought the pace was pretty decent and there was a great surprise at the end.  Pete Woods does a decent enough job with his art, but nothing too impressive, but a solid job.  A decent enough issue and it is becoming more interesting.  I just wish it wasn’t so confusing to me at times.  Maybe some things are just too over my head.
Rating - StarStarStarStarStarStarStar 7/10

resurrect3Resurrection Man #3 – Written by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning with Art by Fernando Dagnino.  Back we are for our hero being killed again.  Of course, he resurrects as usual.  Except he’s temporarily held in a sort of Limbo where a demon tries to collect his soul.  The Body Doubles then continue trying to apprehend him and we’re no further along by the end of this issue than we were before.  Frankly, it’s starting to piss me off.  I had high expectations for this as the original series was so good.  This, however, is just making a mockery of it.  There’s nothing really interesting going on in this issue.  Instead we get cheap TnA from the Body Doubles and that’s pretty much the issue as a whole.  Dagnino’s artwork is sloppy and confusing at times.  Especially the last page, is that guy just floating there?  There was a scene where the Body Doubles were facing this old dude and then all the sudden she has a gun behind the guy’s head.  A lot of bad storytelling going on here.  And the senior citizens SHOULD be running for their lives, instead their just gawking around.  Ok, maybe not running, but hobbling out of the way at least.  Nope.  What a waste of time this issue was. 
Rating - StarStar 2/10

grifter3Grifter #3 – Written by Nathan Edmondson, Penciled by CAFU and Inked by Jason Gorder.  Grifter’s brother joins the fray and attempts to bring him in for justice.  However, more aliens show up and botch things up bad.  Yay?  So far, nothing that I really enjoy about this series.  I thought this issue might be better, but I was wrong.  I’m not sure if it’s the writing or if the artwork brings it down.  Why do people like this CAFU guy?  I find his scenes so stiff and confusing.  His pencils have no energy to them, no flow.  Overrated is the word that immediately comes to mind.  Of course, maybe he’s just bored with the monotonous and tedious script he gets.  I’m trying to figure out why I should care about these aliens and why they are even here.  Apparently they only want Cole Cash.  In which case, they can have him.  Next month it looks like a guest appearance from Green Arrow.  Might as well suck the life out of that title too while we’re at it.  Can we abort this mission to bring Wildstorm titles into the fold, because, nobody cares.  At least Voodoo has some interesting moment.  This?  None.  Good day!
Rating - Star 1/10

batwom3Batwoman #3 – Written by W. Haden Blackman & J.H.Williams III and Art by J.H. Williams III.  Batwoman (Kate Kane) has an encounter with the Weeping Woman, which I’m not sure I get, but whatever.  Kate proceeds to be bitchy the rest of the issue while Black Mask attempts to figure out who she is.  And the best part, Kate stands up her date, gives no explanation, starts crying and BAM!  They’re kissing!  Because, in case you didn’t know, she’s a lesbian.  That’s how it goes, that’s how it goes.  I have no idea what this series is really going for and I’m not very interested in it.  And I’m sorry, no woman could be as pure white as Kate Kane.  Her costume is excellent, but that’s pretty much it.  They seemed more focused on the “she’s a lesbian and therefore deep” part than actually making it deep.  Amazing artwork though.  Just beautiful to look at.  Sadly, there isn’t really anything interesting about it, but I have to give it props for the art.  That’s all you’re getting out of me.  I’m trying to enjoy this, but it just hasn’t hooked me.
Rating - StarStarStar  3/10

batgirl3Batgirl #3 – Written by Gail Simone, Penciled by Ardian Syaf and Inked by Vicente Cifuentes.  Batgirl is sent on a chase by Mirror to attempt to save some lives on a train he has set to detonate.  However, he doesn’t really even want to give Batgirl a chance but for some reason decides to be sporting.  Can’t really understand that, but oh well.  The motivation of the character is that miracles spoil the balance of life and death and that some people are unfairly left alive instead of being dead.  Well, there’s a bit more to it than that, but I like the concept of the villain.  The problem I had with this issue is that we’re dealing with Mirror and then suddenly we’re dealing with Batgirl’s relationship with Nightwing.  Not that I’m against it, it just seemed to be strangely placed.  I couldn’t figure out why they threw it in there except to give us a bit more background on how this was “different” from the pre-52 Batman.  Unfortunately, placing it where they did threw the pacing of the story off.  You’re hoping that Batgirl gets involved in maybe another scenario and instead you get to know about her and Dick Grayson’s relationship.  I could go into why I think Barbara Gordon should still be Oracle and why Stephanie Brown should have just stayed Batgirl.  However, we don’t have the luxury.  Barbara’s character is interesting enough, but I don’t buy that she could beat Nightwing in a fight.  Just things like that bugged me.  I really like Syaf’s art and definitely thought this was another great issue on his part.  Overall, the story just felt a little too blah.  I liked the art a lot, but the story just didn’t shine through.
Rating - StarStarStarStarStar 5/10


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment